One of the innate qualities of every human being is to make mistakes. From minor blunders to grave errors, we underestimate the problems we face or our ability to resolve them. However, what separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom is the ability to learn from the errors in our ways and adapt to new realities. Then again, it is best to learn from someone else’s trials and tribulations. Regardless of the industry, there’s always people who have already cut their teeth on a service or a product (and lost a few in the process). Someone (Hi!) willing to share their vast knowledge and hands-on experience in the matter so that others could gain insight without the hardship.
The trend to automate various processes, such as client service, marketing, or sales, is gaining momentum with each passing year. Artificial Intelligence is the world’s fifth fastest-growing industry in the new technologies sector, while the chatbot market is expected to reach USD 5638.64 million by 2023 with CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 34.64% from now to 2023. More and more companies are getting onboard the chatbot hype train, however many of them derail before reaching the next station. In order to successfully navigate through the tracks, the following issues must be kept in mind when creating an Incredbots chatbot.
Who Do You Want Me to Be?
There are many books and tutorials on how to make a great first impression and for a good reason. Seven seconds. That is the time we have to sway interlocutors in our favor. Does this rule (the idea of it, not the actual time frame) also applies to virtual assistants? Simply put, yes. The first messages sent by your IncredBots chatbot will be of the utmost importance. No one wants to be offended nor bored right out of the gate. That is why, the first TEXTS, the first GRAPHICS or GIFS must be engaging. Consistency matters as well. Providing your IncredBots chatbot with a persona appropriate for the target audience will increase engagement and loyalty.
You IncredBots chatbot should, in particular:
- Be interesting. It might sound simple, however, capturing attention in our world that overflows with information is not an easy feat. Paying particular attention to your target audience and tailoring your bot’s persona to them is strongly advised.
- Be “human” enough. Bear in mind that a chatbot (even with a state-of-the-art AI) is not able to emulate a conversation with a living and breathing person and its conversation options are limited. However, the lines are written by humans, which means that it is up to you to convince the interlocutors they are not talking to a soulless robot.
- Be engaging. In order to limit the bounce rate (how many people are leaving the conversation) your virtual assistant must maintain the interest of the customer. This can be achieved by creating a specific tone of voice and remaining consistent when adding new options to the flow.
Flow, Flow, Flow Your Bot
Say, you have created a well-matched, charming persona for your bot. Kudos! It takes research, time, and dedication. If, however, the virtual assistant introduces itself to a customer and asks basic questions every time he or she begins a conversation, the bounce rate will only increase.
The same goes for instances in which the IncredBots chatbot would:
- Ask only closed-ended questions. Your customer wants to have a chat, not respond to a survey. The capabilities of machine learning enable the IncredBots chatbot to be more intuitive with each conversation held.
- End a conversation suddenly. It will, at best, confuse the customer, and, in the worst-case scenario, cause annoyance, which will lead to deleting the chatbot from the messaging app or leaving a site.
- Give no option to return to the previous conversation line or the main menu. It will make the customer feel like he or she is stuck in a maze. No one likes to be trapped!
- Mislead and confuse. As it was already pointed out, human–to–chatbot interactions will not be the same as a face-to-face (or even a human–to machine–to human) conversation. For that reason, it is particularly important to design the conversation flow in such a way so as to guide the customer throughout the entire chat. If the customer does not understand what step he or she should take next, leaving will be the preferred option.
Hitherto, we have confabulated twain fallacies anent genesis of parlaying automation. You have read the sentence correctly. It exemplifies another type of mistake and proves that anything can sound (needlessly) smart with the help of a thesaurus. Given the first part of the word CHATBOT, the linguistic aspect of your creation is extremely important. Using overly complicated terminology or outdated words will discourage people from reading what the IncredBots chatbot has to say. Starting with such a nightmare of a sentence must be avoided. Just like a very long opening statement. Chatbots should talk, taking the persona into consideration, like a normal human being. Inserting pictures or gifs may also help and, at the same time, diversify the communication. On the other hand, a virtual assistant that makes a grammatical error one after another will not encourage the customer to see what it has to offer.
Right on Schedule
Observing all of the above recommendations will come to nothing if your bot is not providing the content or checking-in on a regular basis. It will simply drown in the multitude of messages we receive every day. The IncredBots chatbot enables profiling of your customer base. Then, you can schedule the content tailored to their interests to be provided every week or month. The same can be done with products or services.
I’m not a Selling Machine
One of the biggest misconceptions regarding chatbots is that they are in and of themselves a sales tool or even a sales department. That is not true. Without providing information the customers require, they will most likely not buy anything. Building and maintaining a relationship with potential clients will lead to an increased interest in your products or services, which, in turn, will translate to purchases.
Knowledge is Key
Implementing those 5 recommendations into the functioning of your own IncredBots chatbot will help both yourself and your customers. They will receive a well-written, personalized content on a regular basis, and an intuitive conversation flow. You will gain loyal customers thanks to a persona well-suited for your target audience, and keeping with the schedule. Of course, the improvement will not happen overnight. You will make more mistakes, learn from them and come out smarter. Remember, if you don’t make mistakes, you don’t make anything.